The Officers Promise (Brothers in Blue Series #1) by K. Langston

May 19, 2016




The Officer’s Promise Excerpts:

Excerpt: #1
My hands moved to her ass, dipping beneath the little black dress that had driven me half-crazy tonight, my fingers digging into the soft skin to lift her up as I fed from her hungry mouth. Short, ragged breaths were the only sounds filling the hallway, and I was certain they fled in time with my thrumming heart.
Her hands snuck beneath my shirt, wrestling for purchase. Her touch was a sword, slicing me wide open for her to reach inside and take what was left of me.
She could have it.
It was all useless without her anyway.
“Ryker, please.”
The longing in her voice had my hands moving to her face, angling her head so I could find a deeper connection. A growl vibrated in my chest as I lifted her and carried her to the hotel room door. Once inside, I stood her up next to the bed, swaying slightly, almost drunk on her taste, her presence.
Her fucking need.
My control was fading, erased by my own desire for her.
“I want you so bad, baby,” I whispered between her lips. “Can you feel it?”
“Yes.”
My hands moved to the back of her dress, drawing down the zipper slowly. “Tell me what you feel.”
“Hands.”
My tongue tasting the skin of her neck, I asked, “Where?”
“Everywhere.”
Her dress fluttered to the floor. “What else?”
“Lips,” she answered breathlessly.
I pressed them to her bare shoulder. “Where?”
With the tilt of her head, her mouth stole mine, fingers burrowing into the back of my head as she tugged me closer, completely taking over. Each scrape of her nails raking across my skin and every moan that escaped her mouth was one step closer to my demise.
Jesus, I could come just from this fucking kiss.
She slowed her breathing and the kiss, easing her hold on my neck, relinquishing control back to me.
“What else do you feel, baby?” I asked in a deep voice that made her eyes flutter closed as I pressed myself against her.
I could taste it on her lips, but I was dying to hear her say it. In the span of three breaths, she finally opened her eyes once more and answered.
“You.”

Excerpt #2
She didn’t come in the following week.
Or the next.
I found myself constantly worried about her. It was driving me crazy, and I needed to know she was okay. Today was my day off, but I went to the West Side Deli for lunch anyway. I’d been here every single day since, hoping like hell she’d show up.
I’d almost given up for the day, after sitting here for the last four hours, when she finally walked in. Rain pelted the sidewalk outside but she was wearing those damn sunglasses again.
Anger simmered in my blood as I slid from the booth, halting her before she could even place her order.
She kept her chin tucked to her chest, eyes trained on the floor as she tried to sidestep me.
“Whoa, MaryAnn, are you all right?”
Her gaze lifted to mine, and I could see the dark shadow beneath the tinted shades. “I’m fine.”
“Are you? Because you don’t look fine. Come sit with me for a minute. Let’s talk.”
“I can’t, I’m in a hurry.”
“Listen, I just want to be your friend. Remember when we were friends and we could talk and trust each other?”
Her lip trembled. “Please, I just need to get my order and get home. If I’m gone too long he’ll—”
She snapped her mouth closed, realizing her mistake.
“He’ll what?”
“Nothing, never mind.” She shoved me aside and made her way to the counter to place her order. Once she had her cup in hand, I met her over by the fountain.
“Listen, I appreciate your concern, but like I told you before, I’m fine,” she tossed out, refusing to look in my direction.
She continued to shift her face away from me, and I was growing more and more irritated by the second. “I don’t believe you.”
“Excuse me?”
“I said I don’t believe you. I think you’re far from fine. I think you’re in danger and need help.”
“You don’t know what you’re talking about.”
“I’m not stupid, MaryAnn. I’m a fucking cop for Christ’s sake.”
She recoiled, and I instantly regretted the anger in my tone. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”
“Then why are you wearing sunglasses when it’s raining outside?”
“My contacts were giving me problems this morning and—”
I reached up, gently pulling them down her nose, revealing her eyes, the right one damn near swollen shut.
“Jesus,” I gritted. She quickly shoved them back in place, spinning away from me. “Who did that to you?”
“No one.”
“MaryAnn—”
“God, why are you doing this? Why can’t you mind your own business and leave me the hell alone?”
I stepped in front of her, gently cupping her elbow. “I just want to help you.”
“I don’t need your help.”
“Your husband did that, didn’t he? And the bruise I saw a couple of weeks ago, he did that, too.”
“You have no idea what you’re talking about.”
“Then call me a liar.”
Silence hung heavy between us.
“Why stay? Why not leave him?” I asked, desperate to know why someone as strong and beautiful as her would put up with a piece of shit like that.
“Because I’m more afraid to leave than stay.”
“Ticket number 298!”
She jerked from my grasp, snatched her order off the counter, and stormed out without a second glance.


This is a novella, consisting of approximately 38,000 words. The Officer’s Promise is not only Ryker and MaryAnn’s story but an introduction to the Brothers in Blue Series as well. The remaining five books of the series will be full-length novels. Each book will feature one of the six Cunningham brothers. I recommend you read them in order as the characters will make appearances throughout each story. 


The Officer’s Promise is written from dual POV, with an HEA and no cheating. 


Social Media:
K. Langston
Spotify: http://spoti.fi/1CxFnwF
Goodreads:  http://bit.ly/1Crt9oi
Pinterest: http://bit.ly/1CwcYWO 

Post a Comment