Review: Taste the Dark by Nicola Rose

May 16, 2018


Taste the Dark
by
Nicola Rose


Blurb:


One reckless girl and two vampire brothers – battling forces of love over lust, and light over dark…

Jess

I killed my parents. I didn’t mean to, I don’t think. I can’t really remember.
I can’t remember much from the years that followed either, other than an endless stream of bad decisions, generally involving alcohol, drugs and bad boys. My new job in a new town signified a turning point – time to sort myself out.

What I hadn't anticipated was the 6ft package of brooding, inked-up perfection who started stalking me. And don’t even mention the equally hot brother crawling around under my skin…

They radiate danger, it flows around them like a seductive spell; and danger is my favourite word.

Zac

I was doing a pretty good job at balancing on the fine line between light and dark, blurring the edges and living in the grey. But then dead vampires started piling up around me and the Bael gave me a ticking countdown to fix it.

Now she’s arrived. Four seconds – the moment I saw her – that's how long it took to know that she’d simultaneously bring heaven and hell to my door. I don't even know what she is, but I know I crave her.

Falling for a human girl has left me teetering on the verge of collapse. This could be just the ammo my brother needs to nudge me over the edge and into oblivion.

Taste the Dark is a full-length paranormal romance/urban fantasy, intended for adult audiences. Expect a lot of heat and a little darkness, because romance isn’t always sweet. Book One in the Elwood Legacy series.


I adored Nicola's debut novel, Breaking the Gladiator, so when I found out she wrote another book and it was about my favorite supernatural being, I knew I had to read it! My vampire love dates all the way back to Buffy or even before that to The Lost Boys and Interview with the Vampire. It's been a long while since I've read a vampire romance, and I'm glad I rectified that. 



Jess believes she has something to do with her parents dying in a fire, but she can't remember exactly what happened. She lives a fast and reckless life of sex and drugs trying to chase away her demons. When she gets offered a new job on South Padre Island, she decides it's a good time to leave her bad girl ways behind. 



It doesn't take long for Jess to realize things on the island are not as they appear. Non-stop partying seems to be a way of life for the average resident, but underneath the surface, there is something much more sinister going on. Jess doesn't know exactly what that is, but she knows it has to do with the notorious Elwood brothers, Zac and Alex. 


Zac is mysterious, broody, and absolutely gorgeous. His brother, Alex, is similiar in the looks department, but he is the "bad boy" of the two. When Alex begins to show an interest in Jess, Zac does not appreciate it. He tries to protect Jess from his brother and those even more dangerous, but she continues to ignore his warnings. You know what they say, if you play with fire, and you're bound to get burned. 

Taste the Dark is the first book in a new paranormal romance series by Nicola Rose.  There is a prophecy, a mystery, sibling rivalry, betrayl, and plenty of steam. It's a bit slow moving at times, but I think the author was trying to make us feel the frustration mixed with curiousity and self doubt that Jess felt. 


Jess is strong, free spirited, and a borderline nympho. She can be a bit much at times, but thinking you murdered your own parents and having a mysterious super power might do that to you. I'm interested to see how her character grows in book 2.

Zac and Alex reminded me a lot of Stefan and Damon from The Vampire Diaries. Don't get me wrong, they aren't carbon copies of them, but it's the best way to explain their dynamic. Zac tries to be a good guy, but we know that deep down he is the most dangerous of both brothers. Alex reminds me of Damon with his sense of humor, devil may care attitude, and unapologetic personality. If you know me, you know which one was my favorite. ;)


Zac has Jess for now, but I wonder if that will change. We see that Alex's interest in her is growing, and there is some attraction from Jess in the mix, too. All in all, it was a satisying start to the series. I feel the need to go find some more vampire romances to read now, because I didn't realize how much I've missed them. If you're a fan of over the top heroines, slow burns, and hot vampire brothers, give this one a try! 

Teasers:








Buy Links:





Author's Bio
Nicola Rose enjoys writing about vampires, fantasy, and dark romance.

She's from the UK, where she lives with her husband and two boys. When she's not writing or reading, she can probably be found walking in the countryside, faffing in Photoshop, and playing board games (with varying degrees of aggression).

You may also find her obsessing over bad boys...

Follow Author:

Social Media hashtags:
#TasteTheDark #ElwoodLegacy #NicolaRose
#paranormalromance #pnr #vampireromance #vampirebooks #urbanfantasy #urbanfantasyromance #vampiresaresexy #eroticromance #lovetriangle


1 comment

  1. Fabulous review jessica!!! I'm like you,my love for vamps go way back!! Love vampires!!! My fave of all the supernatural creatures!!! Can't wait to go read!!! Shared on all my socials!!

    ReplyDelete