REVIEW: CORRUPT by Penelope Douglas

November 23, 2015

21981841
Erika
I was told that dreams were our heart’s desires. My nightmares, however, became my obsession.
His name is Michael Crist.
My boyfriend’s older brother is like that scary movie that you peek through your hand to watch. He is handsome, strong, and completely terrifying. The star of his college’s basketball team and now gone pro, he’s more concerned with the dirt on his shoe than me.
But I noticed him.
I saw him. I heard him. The things that he did, and the deeds that he hid…For years, I bit my nails, unable to look away. 
Now, I’ve graduated high school and moved on to college, but I haven’t stopped watching Michael. He’s bad, and the dirt I’ve seen isn’t content to stay in my head anymore. 
Because he’s finally noticed me. 
Michael
Her name is Erika Fane, but everyone calls her Rika.
My brother’s girlfriend grew up hanging around my house and is always at our dinner table. She looks down when I enter a room and stills when I am close. I can always feel the fear rolling off of her, and while I haven’t had her body, I know that I have her mind. That’s all I really want anyway. 
Until my brother leaves for the military, and I find Rika alone at college. 
In my city. 
Unprotected. 
The opportunity is too good to be true as well as the timing. Because you see, three years ago she put a few of my high school friends in prison, and now they’re out. 
We’ve waited. We’ve been patient. And now every last one of her nightmares will come true. 
 photo 1447567881841_zpsmgocnm9r.jpg

You're not a victim, and I'm not your savior". 

If I had to sum this book up in a couple of words, it would be a sexy mysterious "slow burn". The angst,sexual tension with a bit of mystery gave me palpable anxiety and I still don't know what to make of it.
Erika Fane has had a rich upbringing.Having an endless amount of money, she's never had to want for anything.Growing upalongside the Crist's brothers but she's only ever had eyes for one brother in particular. She's tired of being the good girl,the and the dutiful daughter.Seeing Michael again after three years has made the hunger inside of her come back to the surface but that's not all that came back.
FEAR

"Lust and logic sat on my shoulders like the modern day angel and devil,one telling me to trust my heart and the other telling me that I would never be able to trust his". 

Michael Crist is a God.Having a sucessful basketball career, more money than he cares to admit, life is good or so he makes it seem.For three years he's been waiting for his revenge on little Erika.Known as the four horsemen,Michael and his friends have created the perfect revenge and they intend to execute it by any means necessary. 
 photo PicsArt_11-16-07.29.43_zps6nr6d0cl.jpg
I loved that this story was very different to what's out there now and that this author took a risk.The writing was effortless and I didn't roll my eyes at Erika not once.What I didn't like was the fact that these guys who are in their 20's, acted very immature. I hated it and I wanted to do bodily harm to some of these guys.

"None of us know the full measure of our power until we start pushing our boundaries and pressing our luck, and the more we do, the less we care what others think". 

Overall this story was okay for me and I really did love certain parts of it but loathed some of these characters decisions. I would recommend it if you're looking for something different.

Post a Comment