Scared of Beautiful (Scared #1) by Jacqueline Abrahams REVIEW

January 8, 2016

Maia wants to be free. Free from the social obligations, free from the money, free from the control that her privileged upbringing has taken from her life. And at college, she wants to be unseen, unheard, unnoticed.

Jackson's life has been less than perfect since his high school girlfriend took the back door out of his life, permanently. After years of subscribing to an existence of less than gentlemanly behaviour, he decides to man up and go to college, promising to be done with random hook ups and female drama. 

They had it all worked out, each one had a plan.

At least they did...until they met. 

Together they run from everything; from life, from happiness, from each other. They are two people both so scared; of heartbreak, of repeating past mistakes, of trusting someone else. Two people simply scared of beautiful..
Scared of Beautiful by Jacqueline Abrahams is an easy read about a heroine and a hero 'who wanted out". Maia, who lived in a privileged life with wealth and money and then there's Jackson who had a dirty past...both came with a baggage. Two souls who keeps running and looking for a way out ofeverything..life..happiness..and even love for each other...

I hate to say that I'm gonna rate this as a "Three Point Five Star Read" because this book really has a potential. In fact, I myself enjoyed reading the book and there were even moments I silently laughed because of their silliness. What actually piqued my interest is the title and the blurb thus I immediately signed up for an ARC. Because well, I'm a sucker for this kind of plot where rich girl meets reformed manwhore/slut...fall in love..drama..secrets and revelations.etc..etc.. I even appreciate that it was written in both POV's, that way, the readers wont keep on guessing the other's thoughts or ideas. And oh, the incorporation of that line from Edgar Allan Poe's Annabel Lee really did it for me. Isn't it the sweetest when someone recite to you such a wonderful verse..* Sigh..

But our love it was stronger by far than love 
of those who were older than we-
Of many far wiser than we-
And neither the angels in heaven above,
Nor the demons down under the sea,
can eve dissever my soul from the soul
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee.

However, as much as I love the book, there were points that is just difficult for me to 'comprehend" or maybe difficult for me to "accept". Maybe because some scenes were just too rushed or just fade away and there was too much drama thus I can't seem to find a connection. The chemistry of both the leads were there at first but then nearing 80% of the book just seems "okay"..just merely leads which even leads me to have an interest on one of the secondary character instead. 

But....in totality, this book is not a bad read. I enjoyed it. This even made me want to read the next book in the series because I'm excited what's in store for us by the author.

Post a Comment