Review: Untouchable by Sam Mariano

December 30, 2018

All right, guys. Are you ready for a new dark and twisted bully romance? Untouchable is here!! While drool-worthy, Carter is definitely a twisted hero, so if you have dark romance triggers, please make sure you read the author's note in the beginning of the book before diving in. :)
  Untouchable ebook cover NEW.png

BLURB
Senior year was off to a rough start: lube in my locker, panties on my front porch, unimaginative name-calling. See, I got a player suspended from the football team for harassing me, and in my small Texas town, you don’t mess with the football players—even if they mess with you first. I didn’t care if it was an unpopular thing to do; I stood up for myself… and in doing so, opened Pandora’s Box. I never dreamed I would attract the attention of locally worshipped star quarterback, Carter Mahoney. Never imagined his coveted attention would turn out to be such a nightmare. Beneath his carefully constructed façade lurks a monster, a predator looking for the perfect prey to play with. Now, since I’m the girl no one likes or believes, I guess I’m the perfect target for his dark games and twisted desires. After surviving my first encounter with his casual depravity, all I really want is for Carter to leave me alone. But all he seems to want is me.

  Warning: This book is provocative. It is categorized as DARK ROMANCE for a reason. It will not be for everyone. If you are a reader with certain triggers or sensitivities common to the dark romance genre, please heed the author’s note at the beginning of this book.


Holy fucking shit! That's what I thought as I read the beginning of Untouchable by Sam Mariano. The first scene between the main characters, Carter and Zoey, is more than just uncomfortable. It's sick, twisted, and fucked up on a level I've never seen in a book about high school students. In fact, the entire book is.


I'm not going to lie or sugarcoat this. If you have ever read a book and disliked it, because you thought the hero was abusive or the couple's relationship was toxic, back away slowly now. No. Fuck that. Run! Run away and never look back! I'm serious. Don't even bother picking up this book. You will hate it. I think anyone that reads this and wants to enjoy it has to be extremely curious, open minded, and/or love dark, fucked up relationships.


The purpose of this review is not to scare every reader away. Normally, I don't do much warning in reviews at all. I just feel like this one needs it though. It's better to find out if a book is going to be a huge bust for you before you dive into if you can help it. It's also better for the author.


Basically, this story has the potential to piss a lot of people off. That's just a fact. The author knew that when she wrote it. She has a warning in the beginning of the book itself, so I don't feel bad expressing this now. Now that we've got that out of the way, let's get into my thoughts on this one!


I've read a lot of Sam Mariano's previous work. It's clear she loves her asshole alpha heroes. I love them, too. It's probably a big part of why I've enjoyed all of her books in the past. She also has a knack for writing characters that you can both love and hate at the same time. I've never seen an author do this the way she does. She's kind of fucking brilliant in that way actually.


However, when I started reading this book, I didn't think she could get me to read past chapter 2. What Carter does to Zoey is absolutely disgusting and flat out unforgivable.  There's no two ways about it.


I whole heartedly believe there was nothing Sam could do to completely redeem him to me. That's the thing about her though. She almost never completely redeems her characters (at least the ones I've read about). It's that simple. What she does is finds heroines that are perfect for them just the way they are, and that's exaclty what she did here. 


Not only did I read past chapter 2, I read almost the whole damn book in one night! It's over 500 pages! Her writing style sucked me in completely. The interactions between the characters are just so interesting that I couldn't stop reading. I had to know where the author was going to take the story after all of the horrible shit that happened between them in the beginning of the book. Obviously, I knew they were going to probably end up together. I mean, this is romance after all. Exactly how the fuck that was going to happen was what kept me intrigued.


Both characters infuriated me time and time again, but after a while, no matter how fucked up and wrong it was....I wanted them to end up together. That being said, I wish Carter would have been more sorry for what he did. Hell, I wish Zoey would have lit his house on fire with him in it instead of starting a relationship, but neither one of those things happened. Thankfully, Sam found another way for things to end that left me feeling satisfied.


In the end, Zoey and Carter are perfect for one another. She is just strong enough and crazy enough to challenge him, keep his interest, and deal with his emotional issues. He is morally challenged, emotionally scarred, and messed up enough mentally to peak her academic interest and tug at her heart strings. On top of that, they are sexually compatible in every way.


Their intense chemistry made for some scorching hot sex scenes! Overall, it's a match made in crazy town, but by the end, I was cool with it. Both parties understood what they were getting into and were truly happy.


Bottomline, I enjoyed this book despite the fact that I think Zoey is insane for forgiving him and attempting any type of relationship academic or otherwise. In real life, I would never be okay with this type of relationship, but lucky for me, this is fiction!


One of the things I love about fiction is that it has different rules than we do in the real world. Not every story has to have a moral or an inspirational message. Some stories are just for fun, to make you think, to explore unique situations and complicated characters, or to make your panties wet from laughing or because it's hot af. This is one of those books, and I enjoyed reading it.


I recommend this to readers of dark and extremely unconventional romance with damaged characters and anyone that isn't concerned about my warning, the author's warning, or warnings in general. 



Excerpt 

Carter smirks, catching me around the waist and pressing me up against his car. “One small flaw in your plan, princess.”

I let him smash me against the warm metal at my back. Holding his gaze as he leans in until our chests are touching, I ask, “Oh yeah? What’s that?”

“If no one else is paying my dick any attention, I’ll make you pick up the slack.”

It shouldn’t send a thrill through me when he tells me he’d ‘make me,’ because he’s him, and I know he actually would. He seems to have twisted something in my brain though, because instead of wanting to push him away for saying something so perverse, I want to hook my leg around his hip and draw him closer. I want to spread my thighs and feel his heat between them. I want to play with him, egg him on, tell him to go on and do it, then. 

But I can’t, because I really do need to get to class. 
“Maybe that was my diabolical plan all along,” I tease. 

“Maybe it was.” Carter smiles, dragging the back of his hand along the curve of my jaw. “Well played, Ellis. I hope you read the fine print, though. Now you’ve locked yourself inside a cage with the beast.”

“That’s okay,” I joke, just before his lips brush mine. “I’ve got thick skin, and I’m beginning to like when you nibble on me.”



48264382_756149028101221_100438059325063168_n

TITLE: Untouchable AUTHOR: Sam Mariano GENRE: Dark romance/bully romance RELEASE DATE: December 17th, 2018

AMAZON | UK | CA | AU | IN 

Available in KindleUnlimited.

2 comments

  1. Love this review! I was horrified by Carter's actions... and yet, I couldn't stop reading the book. I can't believe Sam made me like Carter in the end. She is an amazing writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Thank you so much! ❤ She really is! Sam has a way of making you keep reading no matter how awful things are. Most of her heroes are never truly redeemed. They just find the perfect women for their crazy asses. 😂 Thanks for taking the time to read my review! I appreciate it!

      Delete