REVIEW: FEAR ME by B.B. Reid

August 4, 2015

Fear Me (Broken Love, #1)

I don't believe in fairy tales and Prince Charming.

I believe in fear.
He taught me how to be afraid.
We first met on a playground on a wonderful summer day. It was the first time he hurt me and it wouldn’t be the last. For ten years, he's been my tormentor and I've been his forbidden. But then he went away, and yet I was still afraid.
Now he's back and wants more than just my tears. You see...he thinks I sent him away so now he wants revenge...and he knows just how to get it.

TRIGGER WARNING: DUBIOUS CONSENT / VIOLENCE / ABUSE / THREATS / OTHER SENSITIVE SUBJECTS.

REVIEWER NOTE: I'm one of those feminists that will differentiate real life from FICTION. For the sake of this review, UNDERSTAND that I'm aware this is A SICK LOVE STORY. IT'S GRUESOME AND TOXIC. I'm reviewing this as a tale, a fantasy, a work of fiction AND NOTHING ELSE. I'm not promoting any of the subjects or themes touched in this novel, nor will I ever want or wish this kind of things on me or anyone else. I'm all for only-yes-means-yes, don't-mess-with-me consent. I encourage you to speak up if you're in an abusive relationship.

This book is a mindfuck. Now, Antiheroes are my fav. I love seeing the character grow and change and I love understanding their motives. If the story begins with the main characters as enemies then I'm all for it.

“I’m a hopeless fuck who is obsessed with a girl he still wants to hurt.” 

I ADORE a good haters-to-lovers book, but this? This was really disturbing. Now, you might think I'm exaggerating, but no. I enjoyed the book, but it's dark. Like, pitch black dark.  
But it was also gripping. I was so intrigued I couldn't stop reading! And the sex scenes were steamy, but twisted at the same time. I wanted to know how Lake and Keiran's relationship would progress.
Keiran will play with your mind. 

You'll love him one second, hate him the next. You'll find yourself, wanting him to die, wanting to fuck him, wanting to punch him.

“I’m afraid for him because every day he has to fight the person he is, to be the person he wants to be.”

B.B. Reid did an amazing job of being realistic. Keiran doesn't change from one scene to the next, and Lake doesn't suddenly love him. I mean, sure, Lake has some weird reactions to him, BUT SHE ACKNOWLEDGES THAT HER LUST IS BLINDING HER. She knows she's a "dick dizzy" teenage girl.
They lick their wounds, fight again, have make up sex, repeat. It's the appeal of their relationship! They are both headstrong characters.
They progressively start understanding one another, and just when you think they are getting their HEA something new happens that spins the whole story in another direction. When they start to open up to one another it's weird because they keep fighting it and it's part of what makes the novel so entertaining. The lust is almost touchable with these two!

“He came around to open my door and held out his hand to me. The gesture said more than what the eye could see. He could have easily lifted me out of the car without me being able to do anything to stop him but instead he was asking for my consent. To accept what was about the happen.” 

So, does this book have some things that could be fix? Yeah, sure. It's not perfect, but it's special. It has something that has your stomach churning while your panties melt.
The author did an amazing job, and I'll be continuing o
n with the series. Can't wait to see how Lake`s, Keiran's and their friends' journey end.

Post a Comment