Review: Accidental Witness by Sam Morelli

June 19, 2017



Accidental Witness (Morelli Family, #1)
Author: Sam Mariano 
Genre: Mafia romance
Vince Morelli.

The closest I ever wanted to get to him was several rows away in English class. We’d never spoken, but of course I heard the stories about his family. I know they’re dangerous. I know he’s dangerous. Vince never had a reason to notice me, anyway—until I inadvertently witnessed his first mob hit. 

His family doesn’t believe in leaving witnesses alive, but Vince seems different. He knows the best thing he can do for me is stay away, but something keeps drawing us together. Despite knowing the risks of getting mixed up with him, I can’t resist. Only problem is, Vince is a package deal—you don’t get him without getting swept up in his family’s dark games. 

Now entangled with a notorious Chicago crime family, will my life ever be mine again?


**Obligatory trigger warning: This is a mafia romance with dark themes. Sensitive content not recommended for those under 18. **



Accidental Witness is the first book of Sam Mariano’s that I've read, and as you know, reading a book by an author that’s new to you is always a gamble. The stakes seemed a lot higher to me for this one, because I am friends with the author on Instagram. I crossed my fingers and hoped to God that I liked it or things might get really awkward! I am not the type of person that will say I enjoyed a book if I didn’t. I might feel bad about it, but in the end, I’m going to give my honest opinion no matter what.

So what’s the verdict? Sam, you and I can still be friends, because I enjoyed the hell out of this one! LOL A crime family, morally challenged characters, bad boys, an innocent girl being dragged into their world, lust, sex, danger, twists, and turns?! Yes, please, and give me some more! 

Mia is outside her house one night when she witnesses a crime taking place. While trying to record what is going on with her phone, she realizes one of the perpetrators is a guy from her high school rumored to be a part of a notorious Chicago crime family, Vince Morelli. That might not have been too bad except for the fact that he sees her, too. Mia freaks out and halls ass inside her house dropping her phone along the way. 

As you might guess, when she goes back to get her phone the next day, it’s gone. Vince knows where she lives and where she goes to school. What she saw isn’t something a family like his can let her just walk away from. She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, but it’s going to change her life forever.

First, I want to say that I was intrigued the entire time I was reading this. I only put it down once and that was to sleep. Second, I love the author's writing style, and it makes it really easy to fly through the book in no time. The third thing I want to talk about is the most surprising to me. In about 98 percent of the books I read, if I don’t like the heroine, I can’t love the story. If there is not at least one character that is perfection to me, I won’t want to continue with the book. Basically, characters make or break a book for me. That was not the case here. Maybe it’s because I started out loving all of the characters, or maybe it’s just the author’s ability to tell an awesome story! Either way, I have issues with all of the main characters, but I am still dying to read the next book! 

What is my problem with the characters? Mia drove me crazy at times with her rationale and behavior, Vince pissed me off with some of the decisions he made and the actions that followed them, and the villain/second love interest, Mateo, made me want to beat him in the face! Now, I know what you’re thinking…shouldn’t you want to beat the villain in the face? You probably should, but in books like this, I tend to fall in love with the villain. Mateo had me in the beginning, but now I just want him to go away and never come back. Who knows? That might change in the next book, but for now, I’m done with his ass! Vince is my favorite character, because despite his mistakes, I feel for him. He doesn’t want the life he was given, but there is no way for him to get out of it. His asshole cousin wants his girl and has gone to great lengths to break them up. His whole life is being controlled, and he is forced to do things that will haunt him forever. Even the ending wasn’t really a happy one, because Mateo had a hand in it.

All in all, Accidental Witness is engaging and twisted with surprising revelations and characters that make you FEEL! I’m going to try to get to the next book as fast as I possibly can, because I can’t wait to see where the characters go from here! If you decide to read this, I recommend having the next book on standby, because you are probably going to want to dive right into the next one, too! Mafia romance fans, I recommend this one to you! 



Sam Mariano loves to write edgy, twisty reads with complicated characters you’re left thinking about long after you turn the last page. Her favorite thing about indie publishing is the ability to play by your own rules! If she isn’t reading one of the thousands of books on her to-read list, writing her next book, or playing with her adorable preschooler… actually, that’s about all she has time for these days.
Feel free to find Sam on Facebook, Goodreads, Twitter, or her blog—she loves hearing from readers! She’s also available on Instagram now @sammarianobooks, and you can sign up for her totally-not-spammy newsletter HERE!


2 comments

  1. <3 Glad you enjoyed meeting the Morelli family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time visit to your blog and I am very interested in the articles that you serve. Provide enough knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful and don't forget, keep sharing useful info: Manifestazioni dello spirito Santo

    ReplyDelete